'I’m confident I can win my audience back' - Asif Ali



Actor Asif Ali whose career had been going through a lean patch has bounced back with renewed vigour with movies like Vellimoonga and Nirnayakam, the latest being Kohinoor. Putting on improved performances with each movie, the young actor thanks his family life for the new phase of his career.
We caught up with him on the set of his upcoming movie, Anuraga Karikkin Vellam, to talk about how marriage and fatherhood have changed him and the career challenges...

Que:- You found fame in your early 20s. Did that affect your career later on? 
Ans:- I was someone who really wished to come into movies. Not only did that dream come true but also I could be part of movies by Shyamaprasad, Sibi Malayil, Joshiy and Sathyan Anthikad. My initial struggle was to keep that momentum going but I wasn't that mature and was happy-go-lucky and carefree. Also, I didn't have a cinema background and whatever I have learnt was after becoming part of the industry. So when someone narrated a script, I visualised it the best possible way but the end product was not necessarily the same. I made a lot of mistakes while choosing movies in the initial phase and whatever hits I got were accidental. I think my biggest problem was my over-enthusiasm to join the next movie as soon as I finish one. But those mistakes led me to realise that I don't have to do movies unless they are worth it. It made me learn how to select movies. I am glad that I was part of movies like Honey Bee, Kili Poyi, Mosayile Kuthirameenukal and Nirnayakam.

Que:- Life and cinema after marriage... 
Ans:- Before my wedding, life was only about movies. So once I started having a family life, it gave me perspective - professionally and personally. I made up my mind to allot a certain time to cinema and the rest to my family. Automatically, I was able to pick out the good movies from what I was offered.

Que:- It seems your personality changed after your wedding 
Ans:- I became more systematic. Earlier even minor things used to bother me and I used to get distracted easily. Post my wedding, instead of living in the present, I have started making long-term plans. Now, I have someone with whom I can discuss everything that's happening in my life. My wife Zama handles my daily expenses to my income tax returns. So, for me that's a huge relief. It's a big difference when you have someone to come home to. Every evening after I am done with my shooting, I go for a ride with her. That's the sort of bond we have.

Que:-How are you enjoying fatherhood? 
Ans:- I am deeply enjoying every moment of being a father. From day one of my son Adam's life, I have been part of every stage of his growth. Last week he uttered his first words dada. I was overjoyed.

Que:-A lot of critics have lauded your role in the last movie Kohinoor, calling it your best yet. 
Ans:- Fortunately for me, I keep getting that compliment after every movie of mine these days. After Bicycle Thieves released, people told me that was my best performance; they said the same thing after Mosayile Kuthirameenukal and Nirnayakam. So, for me those are pointers after each release, I am improving as an actor.

Que:- Does it mean that you are now finally confident to carry a movie on your own?
Ans:- I have always been confident. The problem has been with my selection. I am aware that the audience have lost faith in me. They don't go to theatres now just because I am acting in a movie. It's not something I did deliberately. However, I am confident I will earn their trust back. My efforts have always been to do that. Now I am sure about the movies that I want to do and you won't see me following a safe formula.

Que:- Your next projects? 
Ans:- I have Rajamma@Yahoo coming up next. I am also shooting for Anuraga Karikkin Vellam, which is sure to evoke memories of Salt 'N Pepper. Biju Menon plays my dad, Asha Sharath my mom. After Honey Bee, I'm once again working with a young team in this movie and so there's that freedom. It's a family entertainer and I thought I really needed to do such a movie now. I have also finished 20 days of shoot of Adventures of Omanakuttan, which is a Bollywood style romcom. Apart from that I have only signed up for just two more movies.


Courtesy: The Times of India


........................................................................................................................................................................